How to write reports like a boss (or for the boss) – a 2-day in-house training programme
- plain language approaches—how to make your writing clear, simple, and understandable by a wide audience
- reader-centric tools—understanding your readers’ needs, and structuring a document accordingly
- editing and reviewing techniques—so you can make sure documents (written by you and others) are sharp, polished, and impressive every time!
- the reporting repertoire – examining a range of reports
- planning tools – how to design a report that’s fit for purpose
- the dreaded “level of detail” dilemma – how to collect, classify, filter, and structure information
- use of appendices – the reader and writer’s best friend
- the most powerful executive summary – nail your outcome, every time
Course outline day 1
- what is plain language?
- who uses it?
- why use it? (the benefits)
- active voice
- 1st person
- speakable Language
- sentence length
- focus on the reader for success
- putting yourself in the readers’ shoes
- what all readers want to know
- bottom line up front
- view and deconstruct a range of sample reports
- international trends in report writing
- industry requirements and standards
- reports for academic, business, technical contexts
- what does your report need to achieve?
- who is it for?
- what type of report will achieve your purpose?
- what are the requirements of this type of report?
- collecting and classifying info
- dump and chunk
Course outline day 2
- filtering information
- putting it in order
- plan using a reader-centric structure
- determine order of information to achieve desired outcomes
- what goes in the body?
- what goes into appendices?
- what gets done away with?
- the never-fail formula
- write to the most influential reader
- eliminate detail, keep high-level specifics
- how to write a truly high level summary
- 3 hat editing process
- reviewing skills
- surviving the review process
- practice, practice, practice!
Wanna sell this program in your business?